Albums are the primary media repository in Vidigami. They play a key role in organizing and centralizing content, which is why users must always choose an album when uploading content.
Create an Album
Users with the contributor role can create albums. To create a new album, navigate to a group and select the New Album option.
Album settings include:
- Album Name
- Start Date - Useful for tying albums to specific events
- Year-round - When sorting content by date, albums with the year-round option activated will be displayed at the top of the page
- Groups - Useful for linking the album to multiple groups
- Tags - Useful to make media searchable. Future uploads to this album will inherit these tags.
Clicking "proceed" will create the album.
*Tip: Use specific, descriptive, and meaningful terms to name albums. For instance, “October” is too broad for an album title - users would upload all types of photos (e.g., sports events, parties, school trips, etc.), making categorization and navigation more complex. “Halloween” is a more specific title – a “Halloween” album would include very specific photos tied to a specific event.
Albums automatically inherit the tags applied to the groups, making them searchable (See Global Search Bar.
Manage Album Settings
Any user with the permission to Manage Groups can manage the album settings. Navigate to an album and select the pencil icon in the top right corner of the page to open the album settings.
Users can edit the following fields:
- Album Name
- Start Date
- Album Description
- Publish Album - Published albums are visible to everyone with viewing privileges for the group. If this is switched off, albums are unpublished - meaning that they will be visible only to admins, who may continue to upload content to those albums. This is a useful way to preload albums with content before making them visible to all members of a group. By default, every new album is set to Published.
- Lock Album - By default, all new albums are Unlocked, which means users with upload permissions will be able to do so. Locking an album disables uploads. Only Administrators can Lock or Unlock albums. This is a common feature for events like contests and enforcing deadlines for collecting academic content.
- Add More Groups
- Add/Remove Tags
- Delete - Admins are able to delete albums. Deleting an album also deletes all photos within that album.
Share an AlbumUsers can share albums by clicking on the "share" icon in the top-right corner. A link will be generated, which users can copy or share via Facebook, Twitter, or email.
Note: As long as the recipient of the share link is a Vidigami user who is already logged in to the school's Vidigami site, they will have access to the media. If not, they will be redirected to the Vidigami Login page instead.
Users with the "manage groups" permission can move an album from one group to another across all school years in Vidigami
Moving a Single Album
To move one album to a different group, navigate to the Album Settings.
Type the name of the group in the “Add more Groups” field. Select the Group from the dropdown and press enter to add it.
Moving Multiple Albums
To move one or more albums from one Group to another, select the albums by clicking the checkbox on the top-left corner of the album thumbnail. This action activates the batch-select bar. and click the “move” button in the top right corner.