User types are assigned when a user is added to Vidigami, either manually or via one of the onboarding options (See Add Users to Vidigami).
The following is a description of each user type:
Student - Any member of the student body. All current students or alumni who have graduated from the school are assigned this user type.
Member - Includes non-staff or non-student individuals associated with the school, such as parents and other family members, partners, vendors, professional photographers, event organizers, and other parties related to the school.
Staff - Refers to school employees. These may include faculty members like teachers and coaches, administrative staff, board members, and other key members of the school.
Member Parent - A Member connected to a Student.
Staff Parent - Staff connected to a Student.
Roles are a combination of different preset permissions that Administrators assign to users before inviting them to the system. These roles vary in terms of usage and scope of participation for privacy and security. Roles work at two levels:
- System-wide Roles: Every user is assigned a Default or Custom System Role that limits what they can do in the school year.
- Group-Specific Roles: Administrators and managers can give additional or fewer permissions to the members of a group.
Every user with access to Vidigami must have a Role.
- Administrator: A system-wide role that grants control over all Groups and content access in a school year. The Client Success Specialist working with the school will assign this role to the designated person (See Client Success Specialist).
Every school needs to have at least one Administrator per school year. Users with this Role have access to the Admin Panel via the "Admin" button in the sidebar of the web app (See Admin Panel).
- Manager: A system-wide role similar to Administrator, but without access to the User List, Reported Media and Tags tabs in the Admin Panel.
- Contributor: A system-wide role given by default to all users after onboarding. Users with this role you can view content relevant to them, upload and download media in their groups, and apply tags. Contributors have limited access to group settings.
- Spectator: A system-wide role that only allows users to view media. Users with this role can't upload or download media or apply tags in the application.
- No Access: A system-wide role that gives users limited to no access to the system. The purpose of this role is to grant access to a specific group or album in vidigami, with view-only permissions.
Assign, Change or Update a System Role
Before inviting other users to Vidigami, Administrators must assign Roles to them via the User List, under the "Users" tab in the Admin Panel. Selecting a user activates the Batch-Select bar (see Batch-Select), which contains the "Change Role" button.
Administrators can choose a role from a dropdown menu
Administrators can customize Roles to give specific users more flexibility in Vidigami. Custom Roles are accessible via the "Roles" tab in the Admin Panel.
Once a custom role is created, Administrators will be able to assign specific permissions by expanding the permissions list.
Administrators and Managers can assign Group-Specific Roles to members of a group, which override System-Wide Roles. To assign a Group-specific Role, access the "Members" tab in the Group (See Groups).
Selecting a user activates the Batch-Select Bar, which contains the "Change Role" Button.
Select a System-Wide role as a baseline, and check all the desired permissions for this Custom Role.
Note: A custom role cannot be deleted. Contact a Client Success Specialist to delete a custom role (See Client Success Specialist).
Permissions are a specific action that a user can perform in Vidigami. Each Role has preset permissions. Here is a list of all available permissions in Vidigami:
|Upload Media||The user can upload photos or short video clips (up to 30 seconds) to albums to which they have access. The user who uploads the media also can delete the media|
|Upload Videos||The user can upload videos (up to 5 minutes) to albums to which they have access. The user who uploads the media also has the ability to delete the media|
|Tag Faces||The user can tag faces of members in images via the Lightbox|
|Manage Tags||The user can create and remove context tags to be used by other members of the community for each school year|
|Manage Group Sets||The user can create and delete Group Sets, as well as add and remove photos from a Group Set. Group sets must be enabled in the group settings for this role to have access to the Group Sets Tab (the Manage Groups permission can enable shared sets)|
|Manage Roles||The user can create custom roles for the school year. Only the Manage Users permission can give access to custom roles|
|Manage Members||The user can add, remove and assign roles to members of any group|
|Manage Groups||The User can publish/un-publish albums, lock/unlock albums, feature albums, access group settings and create/delete any group. If this a Group-Specific permission, then the user cannot create or delete any other groups in Vidigami.|
|Manage Albums||The user can edit the settings for each album and can move media between albums within the school year|
|Download Media||The user can download single photos or clips from the Lightbox|
|Delete Albums and Media||The user can Delete Albums and Media|
|Create Albums||The user can create new albums within any group to which they belong|
|Apply Tags||The user can apply or remove a context tag from an existing Group, Album or Media|
|Manage Copyright||The user can apply or remove a watermark to an image by entering a title under the Copyright section in Lightbox|
|Moderate Content||The user can view the Weekly Uploads tab in the Admin Panel|
|Manage Users||The user can add or remove users and assign roles a system-wide level in the User List via the Admin Panel. The user can also launch Vidigami, send activation emails, edit user profiles and uninvite users from the school year|
|Insert External||The user can insert an external video from YouTube or Vimeo into an album.|